The top Bollywood stars have strong brand power, and their names have the capability to sell. The big stars are well aware of this fact that anyone who uses their names can actually profit, and in turn jeopardise their own brand (depending on how its used).
A brand is anything that the audience can connect with, and it takes years to build.
No wonder the ‘stars’ have a strong legal team that ensures their brand identity is safeguarded (primarily through Trademark registration).
Here are some good examples that these film celebrities have set (and good learning for start-ups and other small businesses too).
- What comes to the mind when you hear ‘SRK’? Shah Rukh Khan of-course. And he as huge fan following around the world. So getting ‘SRK’ tradmarked was the right thing to do.
Long back, film produer Siddharth Roy Kapoor (Vidya Balan’s husband) would also use the initials SRK for his name. But now he cannot do that any longer.
- Salman Khan is aware of his star power. Did you know that the title Bajrangi Bhaijaan was trademarked across all categories, from watches and time pieces to catering services?
- Indian cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar had trademarked his name ‘SRT’ (short for Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar). Vidhu Vinod Chopra had to seek the cricketer’s permissions to use those initials for his film Ferrarri Ki Sawaari.
- What comes to your mind when you hear the word ‘Khiladi’? Akshay Kumar of course! That is why Akshay got the word trademarked. It means no other business or product can use that name without the real “Khiladi’s” permission.
- Amitabh Bachchan has not only trademarked his name in all categories, but also has trademarked one more thing…that he is famous for – his distinctive voice. Big B had to take that step after a gutkha company used an imitation of his voice in an advertisement.
People could have easily assumed that Mr. Bachchan was endorsing a ‘gutkha’, and his reputation could have been damaged. So that was an excellent move!
- Besides making a name for herself in Bollywood, Sunny Leone is a successful businesswoman too. ‘Lust By Sunny Leone’ has been trademarked by Sunny Leone (includes cosmetics of all kinds).
Are you a start-up or a celebrity planning to launch your own products? If there are words that the public associates with your brand, you should definitely consider registering a trademark.