With Aamir Khan’s Dangal ending the demonetization drought at the box-office, filmmakers were optimist about their upcoming big releases. However, Salman Khan’s Tubelight & Sharukh Khan’s Jab Harry Met Sejal have been a disappointment at the box office. With the first half of 2017 coming to an end, we take a look at the business.
Even though 2017’s first quarter was good for business with Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Akshay Kumar and Varun Dhawan’s films ringing the cash registers, none of them went on to become a BLOCKBUSTER.
On the contrary, people were expecting Salman Khan’s Tubelight & Sharukh Khan’s Jab Harry Met Sejal to be blockbusters but both faltered at the box office.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh says Bollywood is going through the worst phase right now with big-budget movies like Tubelight, JaggaJasoos, MunnaMichael, JabHarryMetSejal failing at the box office.
— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) August 8, 2017
However, Rohit Shetty known for his big-budget, car-banging movies says the current phase of Bollywood films flopping is just a temporary phase. Even though there’s lot of talk of big-ticket films failing at the box office, Rohit isn’t worried.
“It’s a phase and it has happened in the past too. I remember when we were making Golmaal Returns, the film industry was going through a lull period. This is just a phase and will not last. There is no need to panic and worry about what kind of films to make. This keeps happening every five years and I know it will end soon,” Rohit Shetty.
Well then, there’s another business lesson for us — string of failures happen once every five years, when everything seems ‘Doom and Gloom’.
Winners of 2017
- Irfan Khan’s ‘Hindi Medium’ was a surprise hit of 2017.
- Varun Dhawan & Alia Bhatt’s Badrinath Ki Dulhania made over Rs 100 crore
- Akshay Kumar’s Jolly LLB 2 made over Rs 100 crore.
- Hrithik’s Kaabil made over Rs 100 crore (Kaabil and Raees clashed at the ox office).
- SRK’s Raees made over Rs 100 crore (Nawazuddin Siddiqui who stole the limelight).
Losers of 2017
- Jab Harry Met Sejal – Hit pair of SRK/Anushka could not set the box office on fire
- Tubelight – No one expected this, Salman Khan’s movie did badly on Eid
- Rangoon – Biggest disappointment considering its star cast, including Kanagana Ranaut.
- Ok Jaanu was a disappointment
Big Bollywood releases of 2017
Here are some of the big movies to be released in 2017.
Baadshaho – Ajay Devgn
2.0 (October 19) – Rajinikanth, Akshay Kumar (Shankar, A R Rahman)
Padmavati (17 November) – Deepika Padukone, Ranveer singh
Tiger Zinda Hai (December 22) – Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif
- Varun Dhawan and Sidharth Malhotra no more buddies, is Varun’s career upswing the reason?
- The rising stock of Nawazuddin Siddiqui
For the last few years, the film industry has been doing major chunk of the business in the second half of the year, and the industry is hoping for a repeat this year as well.
The first half of the year is about new year resolutions (for the audiences), exams and the Indian Premier League (IPL) (most producers use these excuses to push their films in the second half). All the major holidays and festivals — Independence Day, Eid, Dussehra, Diwali and Christmas—fall in the second half of the year.
Hollywood film ‘The Jungle Book’ did manage to scare Bollywood by making Rs.187.55 crore in India. Most trade experts however see that as an aberration (something that happens once in a few years).
Box office collections have also increased thanks to increase in ticket prices.