Bollywood celebrities mourned the death of legendary former heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali. Some recall their brush with the boxing great.
Not many Indians may have actually watched Muhammad Ali in a boxing match (even on television), but his aura, his mannerisms and his accomplishments ensured that every body knew his name. Motivational speakers around the world still use Muhammad Ali’s quotes in their seminars/lectures.
And even Hollywood / Bollywood stars were in awe of Mr. Ali.
Big B, who has acted in several films made by Prakash Mehra, revealed that Prakash Mehra wanted to make a film starring Mr. Ali & Big B, but the idea never materialized.
T 2277 -With the 'greatest' Muhammed Ali at his home in L.A. Prakash Mehra had wished to make film with him and me . pic.twitter.com/AOdKnAZXqm
— Amitabh Bachchan (@SrBachchan) June 4, 2016
Indian film celebrities – Amitabh Bachchan, Mohd. Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar, M.G. Ramachandran with the boxing legend.
- Born as Cassius Clay (January 17, 1942), he converted to Islam and was named Muhammad Ali
- Ali began boxing training at the age of 12 years.
- Ali won the World heavyweight championship at the age of 22 in 1964. He again won the title again in 1974 and 1978.
- Ali shot to fame by winning light-heavyweight gold at the 1960 Rome Olympics.
- Ali has 31 straight wins before being beaten by Joe Frazier
- The American professional boxer retired in 1981, and soon found signs of sluggishness and neurological damage. Later, he started received treatment for Parkinson’s disease.
- The 74-year-old had been suffering from a respiratory illness (died on June 3, 2016), that was complicated by Parkinson’s disease.
— John Abraham (@TheJohnAbraham) June 4, 2016
If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough – Muhammad Ali pic.twitter.com/so2bQrvtlz
— Mahesh Bhatt (@MaheshNBhatt) June 4, 2016