Sanjay Dutt thanks filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt for ‘Sadak’, gets nostalgic as the film completes 26 yrs.
Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt took a walk down memory lane by sharing a poster of Bollywood thriller ‘Sadak’ which was released almost three decades back.
The ‘Khalnayak’ star took to Instagram and shared the poster of the film with Sanjay Datt and Pooja Bhatt on it, captioning, “Thank you Bhatt sahab for this one. #Sadak #26Years @maheshnbhatt@poojab1972”.
‘Sadak’ released to a tremendous response in theatres on December 12, 1991.
Sanjay Dutt’s million dollar advice to young actors to achieve stardom
Sanjay Dutt is the rock-star of Bollywood, and has done several memorable films. The Munna-bhai star says this is what young actors need to do if they’re hoping to achieve stardom in India.
And his simple advice to youngsters is to look beyond multiplexes.
The “Munna Bhai MBBS” actor says that young actors can achieve the kind of fame he and his contemporaries still enjoy if they start focusing on audiences beyond multiplexes or urban cinema halls, besides doing meaty roles.
Sanjau Dutt is still remembered for his memorable roles of Ballu, Raghu, Munna, Musabhai and Kancha Cheena.
“I believe the younger generation just needs to make right choices. They need to understand that India is not only about multiplexes, there is a lot of audience beyond that. The moment you reach out to the audiences in the interiors of the country you will start becoming the star,” says Sanjay Dutt.
The actor will be playing a father in his comeback movie “Bhoomi”.
Another advice Sanju-baba gives is not to be scared.
“Kancha Cheena was a role which I dare think any mainstream actor would have played. It was a challenge for me and I accepted it. I advise all the young actors not to be scared. If one gets a good character to play, they should not think twice and just go ahead with it,” he said.
Sanjay Dutt in Chikni Chameli song from Agneepath
Sanjay Dutt a Free Man; Gives First Shot to Raju Hirani Without Signing Amount
Sanjay Dutt’s popularity could be gauged by the number of fans who had turned up at the airport and later at his residence to get a glimpse of the star after he was released from jail. And the moment he stepped out of the Yerwada Jail, he gave his first shot for a movie based on his biopic, to be directed by the great Raju Hirani.
Even though Sanju Babu looked tired, he had his sense of humor intact and said that “I haven’t been given the signing amount by Raju even though I have already shot for the first scene of my biopic.”
Sanjay Dutt also handed over the money that he had earned (around 500 Rs.) while in jail by making furniture, paper bags and khaki envelopes, to his wife Manyata. Sanju, however, was not paid for his work as a radio jockey (RJ) in the jail, because that was meant as a recreational activity and not labour-oriented work.
Sanjay Dutt was convicted for illegal possession of arms in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case. Although Sanjay Dutt was not found guilt under the stringent TADA (Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act), he was found guilty for illegal possession of arms, and sentenced to 5 years jail by the Supreme Court. Out of 5 years, the ‘Munnabhai’ actor had already served 18 months as an under-trial and the remaining period will be completed soon (on several occasions, the actor was granted parole and furlough on various grounds).
After his release, the Munnabhai star didn’t want the media to mention the 1993 Bomb Blast case because he wasn’t convicted in the said case, but was sentenced under the Arms Act. “I am not a terrorist,” said Sanjay Dutt.
Sanjay Dutt’s Involvement in the 1993 Mumbai Blasts
Several leading film personalities from Bollywood were supporting Sanjay Dutt, with many even talking about mercy for the star, Sanjay Dutt was eventually sent to Jail. Here’s why!
Here’s a brief summary of what Sanjay Dutt did & why he’s been awarded 5 years in jail.
The Court Sentence
The Supreme Court sentenced Sanjay Dutt to 5 years in jail for his involvement in the 1993 Mumbai blast case.
Bombay Blasts in 1993
Post the demolition of the Babri Masjid in December 1992, communal riots broke out in Mumbai and other parts of India, which continued for over 2 months from December 1992 to January 1993 leaving several hundred dead. Underworld don Dawood Ibrahim masterminded the serial blasts in Mumbai in March 1993 to avenge the demolition of the Masjid and the killings of Muslims in the riots.
Weapons Smuggled into Mumbai
Dawood wanted to arm Muslims with assault rifles and hand grenades. That is why the weapons and explosives were smuggled into India by his gang and distributed among various underworld elements, a part of the consignment was delivered to Sanjay Dutt, which he kept it at his house.
What Weapons did Sanjay Dutt Posses?
How did Sanjay Dutt Get the Arms?
Sanjay Dutt said that he got the arms at the instance of Anees Ibrahim, the younger brother of Dawood Ibrahim.
Abu Salem, Baba Mussa Chauhan and Samir Hingora delivered the arms to his residence on 16th January 1993.In their testimony they said that Sanjay Dutt was speaking to Anees when they arrived there and was eagerly awaiting their arrival.
The police claimed that several phone records showed that Sanjay Dutt was in constant touch with Anees, even making calls to Anees’s number at White House Dubai from his home number.
How Did Sanjay Dutt Get Rid of the Weapons?
Allegedly, Sanjay Dutt smelled danger, and returned the ammunition and subsequently got them destroyed by a D-Gang member Yusuf Nullwala, barring one AK-56 and some ammunition in his house.
How Was he Arrested?
During the Mumbai blast probe, the police found out that Sanjay Dutt had acquired AK-56s from Anees Ibrahim. He was in Mauritius at that time. When he was returning from Mauritius to India, his father Sunil Dutt called up the police commissioner and informed them about Sanjay’s arrival on April 19, 1993. The police then picked him up from the airport.
Explaining the presence of the arms in house, Dutt said he knew nothing about the bomb plot and that he asked for the guns to protect his family after receiving threats during sectarian riots in Mumbai.
Bollywood Getting Emotional
Ever since the Supreme court judgment was passed (ruling him guilty), several Bollywood actors including “Jaya Prada, Jaya Bachchan, Hrithik, Priyanka, Bipasha” had tweeted about his sufferings. Considering the fact that there were many (outside Bollywood) who didn’t really share the same opinion (of granting mercy), some of these celebrities reasoned that they were only reacting because of their emotions.
Most of them agree that nobody is above the law, but they have some emotional attachment to Sanju because they have worked in the past or because of their family ties and also because his father Sunil Dutt was a well-respected man.
When Ajay Devgn & Salman Khan met him, it was more to assure him that they’ll be around to take care of his family and also offered to star in any of his projects, if need be.
Nana Patekar Calls a Spade a spade
Bollywood is anyways known for their camaraderie, and because most are very close to him, its very unlikely that any of them are going to say that he should face due punishment.
Only Nana Patekar, when asked by the Media, did say that Dutt doesn’t deserve mercy for his involvement, and shouldn’t get any preferential treatment.
Nana said “Sanjay Dutt was sentenced by the court and he needs to bear that. He definitely needs to bear it. Why should he be spared?”.
Both these actors have never worked together. However, its clear that Nana wasn’t bothered about what Bollywood says or thinks!