Take a look at these top Bollywood Blockbusters that were released on Diwali. Barring SRK’s Movies, only a few managed to make it in the list.
Sooraj Barjatya directed, Salman Khan starrer ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ released this Diwali and is expected to cause fireworks at the box-office (as seen over the last few years). Usually, this is the time when most of Shahrukh Khan’s movies are released.
Here we take a look at the top blockbuster Bollywood films that created magic at the box office during the Diwali festive season. As expected, most of the films are of Shahrukh Khan.
- Happy New Year (2014): Directed by Farah Khan, the movie featured SRK, Deepika and many more actors. Although not among the greatest films, it provided lots of entertainment (one of those ‘leave-your-brains-at-home’ type comedy movies). The multi-starrer movie went on to become a huge Diwali hit.
‘Nonsense Ki Night’ Song from Happy New Year
- Krrish 3 (2013): Arguably, India’s only successful super-hero franchise, Hrithik Roshan’s science fiction film was released during Diwali and was appreciated by many for its and special effects. Vivek Oberoi played the part of the main villain in the movie.
- Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012): This was Yash Chopra’s last directed movie and was filmed extensively in London. Starring Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma, the film made good money at the box office, although it could not become an all-time blockbuster. The movie clashed with Ajay Devgn’s ‘Son of Sardaar’ at the box office. Their clash continued of-screen too, with Ajay Devgn going to court against Yash Raj films for unethical business practices (related to number of screens).
- Om Shanti Om (2007): Directed by Farah Khan, this movie featured Shah Rukh Khan and marked the debut of Deepika Padukone. Released during Diwali, the movie was a great hit and comfortably beat Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Saawariya at the box office. Saawariya was also released at the same time, and debuted Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor.
‘Deewangi Deewangi’ Song from Om Shanti Om
- Don (2006): Good foreign locations (mostly in Germany), great on technical aspects, this Farhan Akhtar
directed film (featuring Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra) was a remake of the iconic 1978 Amitabh Bachchan-movie Don. Great dialogues, great music (most songs from the original movie were retained), the movie was released during Diwali and was among the biggest hits of the year.
- Veer-Zaara (2004): Directed by Yash Chopra and featuring Shah Rukh Khan, Preity Zinta and Rani Mukerji, the movie was among the biggest hits of the year. Like most SRK movies, this film also managed the best opening for a Hindi film that year in the US and UK markets. Although the film had a great star cast, it wasn’t an all-time blockbuster movie.
- Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999): Sooraj Barjatya’s musical drama, featuring Salman Khan and many more stars, was all about song, dance and family. Although the biggest hit of the year, it didn’t really live up to the hype that was created before the movie’s release.
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998): Another blockbuster SRK movie, directed by Karan Johar, the movie was one of the highest-grossing Indian films overseas. Featuring SRK, Kajol & Rani, the film had great music and was a hit with the audience, both adults as well as kids.
‘Ladki Badi Anjani Hai’ from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
- Dil To Pagal Hai (1997): Directed by Yash Chopra, this movie was a love triangle between Shah Rukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit and Karisma Kapoor. The film had foot-tapping music and youthful dance sequences.
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge – DDLJ (1995): Its been more than two decades that DDLJ (directed by Aditya Chopra) was released during the Diwali season. One of the most successful movies in the history of Indian cinema, the Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol-starrer celebrated 1,000 weeks of playing at Mumbai’s Maratha Mandir last December.
Mere Khwabon Mein Song from Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge