Mahesh Bhatt’s classic film Arth will be the first Bollywood film to be remade in Pakistan.
Highlights of the original Arth:
- Mahesh Bhatt’s ‘Arth’ (about a married man involved in a relationship outside his marriage) is considered to be a classic in Indian cinema, the movie portrays Mahesh Bhatt’s extramarital relationship with Parveen Babi.
- The movie was considered a path-breaking film because of its climax.
- The movie took a very long time to release after the movie was completed because distributors were skeptical about investing money in this experimental film.
- Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil’s rivalry was at its peak then (both were considered the best actresses at that time). After the release, several pages were written on who performed better.
- About the Music, the songs composed and sung by ghazal exponent Jagjit Singh were super-hits. Despite the success, the husband-wife duo of Jagjit and Chitra Singh were unable to make much headway in Hindi film music.
Here are some classic songs (ghazals) from the movie, sung and composed by the legendary Jagjit Singh.
Watch: Jhuki Jhuki Si Nazar sung by Jagjit Singh from Arth 1983 (Shabana Azmi, Raj Kiran)
Watch: Tum Itna Jo Muskura Rahe Ho by Jagjit Singh from Arth 1983 (Shabana Azmi, Raj Kiran)
Watch: Koi Yeh Kaise Bataye by Jagjit Singh from Arth 1983 (Shabana Azmi, Raj Kiran, Smita Patil)