Bollywood’s connection with Melbourne, Australia: Movies shot, film festivals and other Bollywood related events in Melbourne.
Here are some popular facts about this city:
- Melbourne is the second most populous city in Australia and Capital of the Australian state of Victoria
- It’s located on the large natural bay (known as Port Phillip), with the city centre positioned on the estuary of the Yarra River.
- Often referred to as the “Garden City” and “cultural capital of Australia”, and the birthplace of football and the Australian film and television industries.
- Melbourne rates high in education, entertainment, health care, tourism and sport. Its very cosmopolitan and stylish
- The city is among the world’s most liveable cities in the world (according to the Economist Intelligence Unit)
Bollywood actress Ileana D’Cruz, who has a Australian photographer-actor beau, was in Melbourne for holidays and has to say the following about the place.
“I love Melbourne’s sun-kissed, picture-perfect beaches, with sand between my toes and being drenched in seawater. Last year, I was there and left wonder-struck by the spectacular sunsets, the sky turning purple and orange. It was a Christmas in paradise! The cherry on the cake was bringing in the New Year with an Ed Sheeran concert,” says Ileana D’Cruz
Bollywood Movies Shot in Melbourne, Australia
Popular Indian films, shot in this city include:
- Salaam Namaste
- Chak De India
Various Melbourne landmarks, including Federation Square and the grand General Post Office building can be seen in Salaam Namaste. In fact, Salaam Namaste was the first Bollywood movie to be shot here.
For this movie, Film Victoria provided financial incentives through its regional film assistance fund, and also provided practical help to scout for locations and assemble a production crew.
Bollywood film (bhag milkha bhag) based on Indian athlete Milkha Singh (starring Farhan Akhtar) has also been partly shot in Melbourne.
Popular Locations include:
- Flinders Street Station
- Melbourne Cricket Ground
- Silence Sculpture, Docklands Precinct
- Southgate Pedestrian Bridge
- Webb Bridge, Docklands, Melbourne, Australia
- State Netball Hockey Centre, Royal Park, Parkville
- Tullamarine Airport
Awards / Ceremonies
Several cities in Australia have a size-able Indian population, no wonder that the Indian film industry is of great interest to Australian audiences.
Here are some of the Events / Award Functions held in Melbourne:
Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM)
A film festival where stars and talented filmmakers introduce their films, take part in Q&As with audiences and, share their insights and experiences with fans and filmmakers. Some of them also get a chance to shake a leg with their idols.
Here’s a video promo of Indian Film Festival of Melbourne 2013:
For the last few years, Melbourne has been consistently appearing in the list of the ‘top 10 cities in the world to live in’, scored on various factors such as political and social stability, crime rates and access to quality health care.
Things about Melbourne:
- Sports and Australian football is very popular
- Has a notoriously changeable weather
- Its packed with Festivals for most part of the year
- Its a Fashion-city, where the look is chic with a dash of quirky
Things to do in and Around Melbourne:
- Eureka Skydeck – Awe inspiring views from this high viewing platform
- Discover The City – Be it by bike, by bus or by foot
- Hot Air Ballooning – Expensive, but you get some unforgettable views from over Melbourne.
- Explore Phillip Island – Located at a reasonable distance outside Melbourne, its famous for its penguins.
- Experience The Great Ocean Road – One of Australia’s most scenic vantage points.
- Dandenong Ranges – Famous for its towering Mountain Ash trees and wonderful scenery, charming little villages.
- Yarra Valley Wineries – Easily accessible from Melbourne, this is Australia’s most famous wine producing region,
- Explore the Queen Victoria Market – Variety of foods and souvenirs from around the world
- Checkout the Wildlife – Offers high-level wildlife attractions of various kinds
- Get Beneath the Water – The city has high quality beaches that lets you take part in aquatic activities. for those who love the water.