Although the government has given out a statement saying that they are not removing Aamir Khan from the ‘Incredible India’ campaign and that Aamir’s contract has ended, there’s no denying that his comment has not gone down well with the general public as well as those in power.
Aamir Khan’s ‘Intolerant India’ comment costs him the post of brand ambassador of the ‘Incredible India’ campaign
There’s no doubt that Aamir Khan was a great brand ambassador, but the the government now wants to have someone who is more knowledgeable and respected, and understands culture as well as understands India much better.
And going by the grapevine, megastar Amitabh Bachchan is currently being considered for the role of the brand ambassador of the ‘Incredible India’ campaign, after Aamir Khan’s contract ended.
Reportedly, Akshay Kumar’s name was also being considered for that role.
Bollywood has already given the thumbs-up to Mr. Bachchan, with several celebrities expressing their support for Amitabh Bachchan.
Here’s what Bollywood celebrities have quoted about Mr. Bachchan becoming the brand ambassador of the the ‘Incredible India’ campaign.
- Akshay Kumar: “He should be given that (brand ambassador). He is an icon… It would be great.”
- Shoojit Sircar (directed Mr. Bachchan in “Shoebite” and “Piku”): “I am happy. Whatever he does, I am with him. He is a legend.”
- Ranveer Singh: “He is The perfect brand ambassador, true icon and the most appropriate person for Incredible India”
- Sidhir Mishra: “You can’t praise him enough, there is not much that hasn’t been said about him. He is cultured, understands culture, understands India, he is very knowledgeable. Not just a film actor he is beyond that”
- Sonakshi Sinha: “I think nobody represents art and cinema in our country like him. He has been doing that for so many years. No one is better than him to be the brand ambassador.”
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui (will be seen with Big B in “Te3n”): “I am happy. He deserves it.”
- Varun Dhawan: “He is definitely incredible. He deserves whatever honour he gets”
‘Incredible India’ Becomes ‘Intolerant India’ for Aamir Khan, Faces Backlash on Social Media for Speaking His Mind in Public.
Watch: Aamir Khan’s Incredible India commercial – 2
First it was the turn of SRK, then Aamir Khan faced the wrath of the Twitter brigade for speaking his mind in public. Post his comments, #AamirKhan was trending on Twitter with very few taking the actor’s side.
Speaking at the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism in Delhi, Aamir Khan recently said also said, “When I chat with Kiran at home, she says, ‘Should we move out of India?’ That’s a disastrous and big statement for Kiran to make. She fears for her child. She fears what the atmosphere around us will be. She feels scared to open the newspapers every day.”
The comments didn’t go down well with many. As expected most comments targeted Aamir (similar to Shah Rukh) for being from a particular community. Many also felt that Aamir should not be knocking the country that made him a huge star.
However, there were many Bollywood celebrities who chose to disagree with Aamir and reminded him that he was a fighter, and being a national figure, should have been positive in his response.
Mr.&Mrs. Amir Khan. When things are going wrong and the system needs correction,repair it,mend it.Don't run away from it. That is Heroism!
— rishi kapoor (@chintskap) November 24, 2015
Intolerance !PK did rattle the belief of Hindus but Aamir dint face the wrath of Hindu or THE MAJORITY n but was super hit n made crores !
— Paresh Rawal (@SirPareshRawal) November 23, 2015
Dear @aamir_khan. When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’ for you? Only in the last 7-8 months? #AtithiDevoBhavah
— Anupam Kher (@AnupamPkher) November 23, 2015
This will probably take some time to settle, but I’m sure, next time, Aamir Khan will chose his words more carefully when speaking on a public platform.