Irrfan Khan, one of India’s most respected thespians, died in Mumbai’s Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, where he was being treated for a colon infection. Irrfan Khan is survived by his wife Sutapa and two sons.
“I had been in a different game, I was travelling on a speedy train ride, had dreams, plans, aspirations, goals, was fully engaged in them. And suddenly someone taps on my shoulder and I turn to see. It’s the TC: “Your destination is about to come. Please get down.” I am confused: No, no. My destination hasn’t come. No, this is it. This is how it is sometimes,” Irrfan Khan.
A couple of years back when Irrfan was diagnosed with cancer, he said “I trust, I’ve surrendered, irrespective of the outcome”.
‘As if I was tasting life for the first time, the magical side of it.’ https://t.co/GX0CqfjSVX
— Irrfan (@irrfank) June 19, 2018
“I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye,” Irrfan Khan quotes Yann Martel in Life of Pi.
The hashtag #IrrfanKhan and #RIPIrfan have been trending on Twitter after reports of his death came in.
The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (Oscars) condoled his demise. “A mainstay of Bollywood cinema and incredible talent in films like ‘Slumdog Millionaire,’ ‘Life of Pi’ and ‘The Namesake,’ Irrfan Khan left his imprint on global cinema. An inspiration to millions, he will be greatly missed,” tweeted the Academy.
A mainstay of Bollywood cinema and incredible talent in films like “Slumdog Millionaire,” “Life of Pi” and “The Namesake,” Irrfan Khan left his imprint on global cinema. An inspiration to millions, he will be greatly missed. pic.twitter.com/o21DMMC2o5
— The Academy (@TheAcademy) April 29, 2020
Bollywood fraternity poured in condolences for the actor’s family.
My friend…inspiration & the greatest actor of our times. Allah bless your soul Irrfan bhai…will miss you as much as cherish the fact that you were part of our lives.
“पैमाना कहे है कोई, मैखाना कहे है दुनिया तेरी आँखों को भी, क्या क्या ना कहे है” Love u pic.twitter.com/yOVoCete4A
— Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk) April 29, 2020
Big loss to the film industry, his fans, all of us n specially his family. My heart goes out to his family. May God give them strength.
Rest in peace brother u shall always be missed n be in all our hearts.. pic.twitter.com/KFQ1RoC1H8
— Salman Khan (@BeingSalmanKhan) April 29, 2020
Irrfan Khan’s Rising Stardom in Bollywood
Irrfan Khan may come across as a methodical actor but he also does roles playing to the galleries, and many are already seeing him as the new-age romantic hero. Lets take a look at the rising stardom of Irrfan khan in Bollywood.
It’s Irrfan Khan who’s capturing all the filmy headlines currently, as his ‘Talvar’ opened to packed houses and is further gaining momentum through word of mouth. Now another of his film ‘Jazbaa’ (opposite Aishwarya Rai Khan) is releasing this Friday. Not only is Irrfan drawing praise from the audiences/fans, several Bollywood’s leading ladies are going gaga over his performances.
Although Bollywood is said to be ruled by the ‘Khans’, the ‘Khans’ doesn’t include the name of Irrfan Khan. However, this Gandhi Jayanti (which turned out to be a long weekend), going by the media coverage of ‘Talvar’ and the upcoming ‘Jazbaa’, its difficult to believe that there’s any bigger star than Irrfan currently in Bollywood.
The best part is that Irrfan got the opportunity to play two different roles. One is that of a serious investigating officer, and the other is a typical masala role where he plays a cop with some great one-liners. So the audience has a choice of which cop they wish to see.
And Irrfan khan is currently the only Bollywood actor who’s sought after by Hollywood filmmakers as well. No wonder even the leading Bollywood ladies want to work with him. Here are a few examples.
- It seems, Aishwarya Rai is also a big fan of Irrfan Khan and couldn’t believe her ears when Irrfan Khan agreed to star opposite her in ‘Jazbaa’.
- Deepika, who has worked with Irrfan in Piku, was earlier worried that Irrfan would look down upon her because she’s a commercial heroine, but was happy to see him as a humble and hmorous person. Deepika is said to have become an admirer of Irrfan Khan’s sense of humour while shooting for PIKU.
- The actor will also be seen opposite Kangana Ranaut in ‘Divine Lovers’.
- Sushmita sen also tweeted her appreciation for Irrfan Khan’s acting prowess after watching him in Talvar.
— sushmita sen (@thesushmitasen) October 4, 2015
There are many who see Irrfan Khan is the new romantic hero in Bollywood. Here’s why:
- Irrfan Khan’s portrayal of his romantic side is more real than reel. Silence is usually the best form of communication between two people in love, and actor Irrfan Khan seems to do that perfectly.
- The audience can relate to his looks, after all, not every guy in reality is a Greek God.
- Irrfan Khan’s love looks matured & more realistic, he comes across as the guy that every girl will like to marry
- Irrfan impresses by keeping things simple, by engaging in intellectual conversations. Want to go on a long walk on the beach? Irrfan is the guy to go with.
Well, you never know, in the future, Irrfan’s name could very well be taken along with SRK, Salman, & Aamir Khan, as the Bollywood’s top Khans.