Almost every Bollywood star, at some point of time, has done a romantic role, and they all come across as great lovers on-screen. Many have also had several link-ups with co-stars (many of them are just rumors), however when it comes to real life, the fact is, there are several Bollywood celebrities who found their soul-mate through the traditional route of matrimony.
Yes that’s true! There are several Bollywood celebrities who have opted for arranged marriage, where their partners were chosen the traditional way, by family and close relatives.
The latest to join the list is none other than the “Haider” star Shahid Kapoor, who’s all set to tie the knot with Delhi University student ‘Mira Rajput’, in an alliance that was arranged by their families.
Even superstar Salman Khan says he’s open to arranged marriage and has expressed his desire to settle down in an arranged set up. “Sometimes, love marriages don’t work and arranged marriages do. And sometimes, it’s the other way round. It depends on the individuals, how they go about their lives, how compatible they are,” Salman had said.
“Masti” star Vivek Oberoi (son of Suresh Oberoi) had an arranged marriage to Priyanka Alva (daughter of Karnataka minister Jeevaraj Alva). Vivek says he’s changed a lot as a person after his marriage. He’s more calm and at peace with himself, and doesn’t have place for hatred in life (Vivek and Salman Khan were involved in a big fight at one point of time).
Most Bollywood stars were romantically linked to their co-stars, with many involved in a serious relationship for years, but could not get married.
- Shahid was in a relationship with actress Kareena Kapoor Khan for over three years and later linked to Vidya Balan, Priyanka Chopra, Anushka Sharma and Bipasha Basu. Finally, he decided to go in for arranged marriage.
- Salman Khan has been in several relationships (with various actresses, including Aishwarya Rai) but could not get married.
- Even Vivek Oberoi, at one point of time, was close to Aishwarya Rai, but their relationship didn’t go too far
- John Abraham was in close relationship with Bipasha Basu for several years, but the couple got separated. John later married an investment banker.
Most Bollywood actresses, on the other hand, seem to be more comfortable with arranged marriages.
- Actress Madhuri Dixit had an arranged marriage with doctor Shriram Nene. Madhuri Dixit keeps shuttling between
- Mumbai and the US, but spends a lot more time in Mumbai now, with several TV assignments.
- Meenakshi Sheshadri, another superstar of the 80s, is happily married and settled in the US
- Actress Karisma Kapoor was once engaged to actor Abhishek Bachchan, but their wedding was called-off later. She later married Delhi-based industrialist Sanjay Kapoor, but several years later, the couple filed for divorce.