On Ranbir Kapoor’s birthday, we take a look at Ranbir Kapoor’s career, his biggest hits, flops, the movies he rejected, and trivia.
- Date of Birth: 28 September 1982, Star Sign: Libra, Height: 1.83 m, Birth Place: Mumbai
- School: Bombay Scottish School, Mumbai, College: H.R. College, Mumbai
- Studied film-making and method acting at the School of Visual Arts (SVA)in New York City and the Lee Strasberg Theatre (Hollywood, California) and Film Institute, respectively.
- Debut frilm: Saawariya (Sanjay Leela Bhansali), Biggest Flops: Rocket Singh, Bombay Velvet and recently Jagga Jasoos
When Ranbir Rubbed Aditya Chopra the Wrong Way
Did you know that Band Baaja Baaraat was first offered to Ranbir Kapoor (went to Ranveer Singh)?
Ranbir made a rocking debut with Saawariya and went on to receive two consecutive film-fare awards.
Watch: Saawariya – Title Song | Ranbir Kapoor
Producer/Director Aditya chopra (Yashraj Films) was deeply hurt (rather his ego was deeply hurt) when Ranbir politely declined his film ‘Band Baajaa Baarat’, and he vowed to create a strong competitor to Ranbir, which eventually happened as Ranveer Singh is among the top stars in Bollywood today.
To make amends (with Yash Raj films), you will occasionally hear Ranbir saying turning down Band Baaja Baaraat was the biggest mistake of his life.
However, Ranbir’s friends maintain that Ranbir says that to end the ill-feeling. Otherwise, Ranbir comes from the cockiest school in filmdom, does not feel insecure about anything, and is okay with not working with Yash Raj.
Watch: Jagga Jasoos: Galti Se Mistake
Movies Ranbir Kapoor Rejected
2 STATES (went to Arjun Kapoor), DIL DHADKNE DO (went to Ranveer Singh), PHANTOM (went to Saif Ali Khan), BANG BANG (went to Hrithik), FITOOR (went to Aditya Roy Kapur), DILWALE (went to Varun Dhawan).
Ranbir Kapoor worked as an assistant director on several films, and even assisted Sanjay Leela Bhansali before making his acting debut:
Also Read: Bollywood stars who Were Assistant Directors before making their acting debut.
Here are some more lesser known facts about Ranbir Kapoor.
- Ranbir is named after his grandfather, the legendary Raj Kapoor, whose actual name is Ranbir Raj Kapoor.
- In the Kapoor Khandaan, almost everybody has a pet name (Chintu, Bebo, Lolo and so on) except Ranbir and he is thankful to his parents for the same.
- Ranbir is excellent at mimicry. He does a perfect imitation of Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan and even Sanjay Dutt (he’s doing Sanju Baba’s biopic to be directed by Raju Hirani).