Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) facts, trivia, shooting locations and more.
Facts About ‘DDLJ’ That You Probably Didn’t Know
- Once the film was shot, no one felt they had created something amazing and were quite honest about it. Kajol thought the movie was a nice movie without anything new or different about it. Adi Chopra said “My film is not different. I’m making the most commercial, cliche movie ever made. I’m making the oldest story in the book.”
- The title of the film was suggested by Kiron Kher (Anupam Kher’s wife) who loved the script and recommended the title “Dilwale Dulhana Le Jayenge” (from the famous song from the Shashi Kapoor Mumtaz starrer “Chor Machaye Shor”). Aditya Chopra decided to keep that title.
- When the cast of the film was being finalized, Aditya and Yash Chopra thought Shah Rukh Khan would love the script of Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and would agree to do it. However, SRK initially said no! He didn’t want to do a romantic film; he felt he was old for a romantic film and was not “typically” good-looking.
But eventually he accepted the role because Yash Chopra told him that he’d never be a big star if he didn’t do a romantic film. After seeing the film, Shah Rukh Khan told Yash Chopra that DLLJ was his “Deewar”, the film that’s going to make him.
- Kajol was hesitant about doing “Mere Khwabon Mein Jo Aaye” song because she felt wearing a towel for the song was kind of cheap. But Aditya Chopra assured her they would handle the song tastefully. Everybody loved the end result.
Also, Kajol’s white skirt was also cut on the set by Manish Malhotra and his team. inititally, the skirt was much longer but Adi Chopra didn’t like it, it eventually became lot shorter, but they all went ahead with it.
“I felt the highest magic moment of my Life when I watched it in 1995… and today after 23 years I watched it again, and I felt that same magic n that love in my deepest heart. Highest cinematic moment of my life then, now n Forever,” [sic] wrote Allu Arjun in his Instagram post along with a still of the song Tujhe Dekha Toh Ye Jana Sanam from the film,” South Indian Stylish Star Allu Arjun.
More Trivia from DDLJ
- The iconic leather jacket sported by Shah Rukh Khan in the film was bought for $400 by Uday Chopra from a Harley- Davidson store in California.
- Just before the song “Zara Sa Jhoom Loon Main”, Shahrukh gives Kajol a bottle of Cognac; Kajol ends up drinking the entire bottle.
- Shahrukh Khan comes to Punjab and tells everyone that he wants to start a ‘beer’ factory in India.
- The opening scene of the film was filmed at Trafalgar Square, London, where Amrish Puri is feeding the pigeons at Trafalgar Square.
- Raj lives in London. Raj’s father (Anupam Kher) is businessman based in London; they live in Hampstead.
- In the movie, Raj and Simran miss the Eurail in Paris (because of shopping). They try to board the train again at Zurich but are unable to do so. Finally, they board the train in Berne.
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) Shooting Locations
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ) is not only the most popular movie in the history of Indian cinema, it was perhaps the first Indian movie that inspired the audience to pack their bags and set out to see the world.
Here we take a look at those iconic locations, made popular by DDLJ, most of them happen to be in Switzerland. The best time to visit Switzerland (for most Indians) is between May to September, when its summer.
Trafalgar Square, London
The place where Amrish Puri feeds pigeons. Trafalgar Square is London’s most important tourist sites.
Interestingly, feeding pigeons in the square is no longer allowed (because of the health hazard fromthe droppings of the pigeons.)
Home to a sizeable Indian community in London, this was the setting for Simran’s home and her father’s convenience store.
King’s Cross Railway Station, London
This is where SRK and Kajol catch the Eurostar train from London to Europe. The famous scene where SRK gives a helping hand to Simran to pull her into the train, was filmed on one of the platforms here. The two return to the same station after their Europe tour ends.
Gstaad-Saanenland region in Switzerland: Several scenes of SRK / Kajol were shot in the picturesque villages dotting the Gstaad-Saanenland region in Switzerland.
Our first destination was the picturesque village of Saanen. This is the place where many memorable portions of the film was shot.
St. Mauritius Church in Saanen, where Rahul and Simran pray together.
Raj and Simran aka SRK and Kajol on the Saanen bridge during the “Paalat” (look back) scene. Notice the river behind.
Raj and Simran miss their train at this tiny train station of Zweisimmen near Gstaad, and enquire about the next train to Zurich.
You can either take a bus from Gstaad to reach Zweisimmen or just take the next train from the Gstaad station to reach Zweisimmen. This is also the place where the Montreux- Zweisimmen portion of the Golden Pass route ends.
The kiosk, where Raj and Simran argue with each other while Simran hurriedly buys the most famous Swiss souvenir worldwide – ‘the cow bell’, is still there. Probably a huge number of Indian tourists flock the shop every year and that is why the shop owners seem to be aware of the popularity of the movie.
Our next destination was Gstaad. It is another beautiful town located in the Bernese Oberland region only and probably a few train stations away from Saanen. You may take the next train on the Golden Pass route to reach Gstaad or take a bus from Saanen also. Swiss public transport system is one of the best in the world and you have to travel on it to believe their level of accuracy.
The first DDLJ memorabilia associated with Gstaad is the Early Beck shop. Remember that confectionery shop in the song “Zara sa jhoom loon mein” where Kajol wreaks havoc?”
Gstaad is generally known as the favourite Ski destination of the rich and famous (Bollywood couple Saif and Kareena are a regular here).
Another popular destination which was featured in the song “Zara sa jhoom loon mein” – the Jungfrau mountain range. We separately visited Jungfrau from Interlaken and it takes almost an entire day to complete the trip till the top of the mountain and back.
The Jungfrau railways is a sheer feat of engineering. The snow clad serenity is featured in the same song when Simran in red dress serenades her way to our heart. And it can get cold up there, even in summers.
The next DDLJ location in Switzerland is Interlaken. While you reach Interlaken from Zweisimmen completing another part of the Golden Pass route, you are bound to admire this lovely little town surrounded by lakes.
Remember this scene right after the song “Ruk jaa o dil deewane” where SRK tricks Kajol on the pretext of apologising? The scenes was shot on the Interlaken promenade and you can catch a glimpse of the famous Victoria Jungfrau Hotel right before this scene in the move.
If you are a Yashraj fan, it will be hard for you to miss this plaque on the Interlaken promenade while you take a stroll across this lovely town.
Lake Lungeren, Switzerland
While doing the Interlaken to Lucerne part of the Golden Pass route, you may also spot the Lake Lungerer, where a few scenes from the song “Tujhe Dekha Toh yeh Jaana sanam” was shot (Raj and Simran are shown fishing on the banks and catching a shoe.)