Top Halloween destinations/parties around the world.
Halloween is celebrated in several countries (its mostly a western tradition), especially in the United States of America and the United Kingdom, and although its not celebrated on that scale in India, there are many who’re aware of it.
Most schools in India have a Halloween day so kids known about it (they know that they have to wear scary costumes and throw parties), but very few in India are aware about its origins.
So lets take a look at a bit of history (of Halloween), and also the top Halloween parties around the world.
What is Halloween all about?
According to the Celtic people (people in Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France), their new year began on November 1st that marked the beginning of winter. It was the time when cattle, sheep, all livestock had to be secured for the winter months. Crops were harvested and stored.
The festival observed at this time was called Samhain (pronounced Sah-ween), and that’s the time when Halloween is thought to have originated.
The Celts believed that the ghosts of the dead (during the year) were able to mingle with the living and traveled into the other world. On this day, people would light bonfires to honor the dead, sacrifice animals and food, and wear costumes (to aid the dead on their journey, and to keep them away from the living).
Halloween is the evening before the Christian holy days of All Hallows’ Day (also known as All Saints’ or Hallowmas) on 1 November and All Souls’ Day on 2 November, thus giving the holiday on 31 October the full name of All Hallows’ Eve (meaning the evening before All Hallows’ Day). (As on Wikipedia).
Halloween Fever Grips Bollywood Celebrities
The Halloween party has gripped Bollywood as well with several actors throwing parties that are attended by celebrities who turn up in scary costumes.
Even Hrithik Roshan had hosted a Halloween party for her ex-wife Sussanne Khan, as per her wishes on her birthday.
Top Halloween parties around the world
These are the best Halloween parties worth attending, and the venues are scattered from the north to the south, from Amsterdam to Melbourne.
- Ireland: The place where Halloween originated. The largest organised Halloween celebration in Ireland is on the Banks of the Foyle Halloween Carnival in Derry City, from 25 to 2 November.
- Romania: Home to Vlad the Impaler (Dracula), the best place to celebrate Halloween is to spend a night in a medieval haunted castle in Transylvania.
- London, England: Come October and there are countless Halloween events and parties happening in London. Some of them are even kids friendly. Check out Spookfest, Pick Your Own Pumpkin, Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror, etc.
- Several places in the USA and the UK
- Bangkok: Although Halloween celebrations abound in Bangkok, the one at Silom Soi 4, a pedestrian street of bars, restaurants and clubs, has the best Halloween street party in Bangkok.
- Hong Kong: Not many are aware that Hong Kong is the Halloween party capital of Asia (celebrated by expatriate Americans, Canadians and other foreigners). Hong Kong Disneyland hosts the annual Halloween Bash. Bars in Lan Kwai Fong famously throws Halloween parties every year.
- Colombia: Bogota, the capital of Colombia, is the centre of Halloween celebrations in the country. The Moto Halloween Party attracts motorcycling enthusiasts, dressed up in outfits, who ride around Cali to celebrate Halloween.
- Mexico: Dia de los Meurtos, or Day of the Dead, takes place on 2 November in Mexico, Latin America and Spain, and is commemorated with three days of celebration starting on 31 October. The tradition of this celebration is to honour the dead, as it is believed that the spirits return to be together with their families on this day.
More popular Halloween destinations around the world
- Top fun halloween events worldwide
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- Best Halloween Parties and Events Worldwide