Hits and flops are a part and parcel of Bollywood, however, recently there have been a spate of Bollywood movies that generated a lot of buzz with promising expectations, but failed miserably at the box office. Despite having a good star cast and pumping in lots of money on the films promotions, some of these big-budget movies flopped miserably at the box office. No wonder many feel that the movie business is a risky business.
Here is a list of some of the Bollywood tankers:
- Bombay Velvet- Anurag Kashyap’s much talked about movie starring Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma was touted as the most anticipated movie by the punters. It also was the movie that marked the screen debut of director Karan Johar in a negative role. However, it failed miserably at the box office. The 120 crore movie could only garner 31 crores.
- Roy – Ranbir Kapoor has had a spate of bad films lately. Roy starring Arjun Rampal, Jacqueline Fernandez and Ranbir Kapoor barely collected 44 crores at the box office.
- Raavan- The much anticipated Mani Ratnam movie starring Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai, failed to create any magic at the box office. The movie lost more than 50% earnings.
- Saawariya – This movie was the dream launch vehicle for two promising new comers at that time, Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor. It was also a Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s movie which only added to the fanfare. Unfortunately the movie did not do well and was deemed a flop.
- Aag – This sholay remake by Ram Gopal Verma had all the big names – Amitabh Bachchan, Ajay Devgan, Mohanlal, Sushmita Sen and yet, a complete antitheses to its nemesis, the original Sholay. RGV’s Aag, failed miserably and was a huge failure at the box office.
- Drona – This fantasy film had Abhishek Bachchan playing a super hero along with Priyanka Chopra and Kaykay menon who were the other cast members. The movie was a disaster at the box office.
- Kites – Anurag Basu directed Kites, starring Hrithik Roshan and Barbara Mori failed to create any ripples at the box office, recovering only 49 crores from the 60 crore movie budget.
- Roop Ki Rani Choro Ka Raja – This movie nearly rid boney Kapoor in huge debts. A big flop with a huge budget, starred Anil Kapoor and Sridevi. However, a delay of 6 years and after 9 crores spent, the movie could not recover the cost.
- Ra one – Shahrukh Khan as the superhero and Kareena Kapoor as the damsel in distress with Arjun Rampal as the anti hero was made with much promise of 130 crores but it could garner only 114 crores at the box office.
- Humshakals – This Saajid Khan directed disaster starred Saif ali khan, Riteish Deshmukh, Ram Kapoor, Bipasha Basu, Tamanah and Esha Gupta. Of the 75 crores spent on making the movie, it recovered only 63 crores.
- Guzaarish – Another Hrithik Roshan movie, also starring Aishwarya Rai, failed to recover costs at the box office.
- Veer – This period drama featuring Salman Khan, could do little to bring in money. The movie was a flop.
- Himmatwala- Another Saajid Khan caper that didn’t make it at the box office was Himmatwala. A remake of the classic, this film didn’t do as well as expected.
- Blue – This 100 crore movie was one of the biggest flops. It starred Sanjay Dutt, Lara Dutta, Akshay Kumar and Zayad Khan.
- Love story 2050 – Harman Baweja’s debut with Priyanka Chopra, didn’t make the cut and could recover only half of the money spent.