We are not talking about the fruit here, but a country (archipelago) which is located in the central Mediterranean between Sicily and the North African coast.
Thanks to their good climate, picturesque locations, the islands of Malta, Comino, and Gozo have featured in top international films and television shows.
Watch: Troy (2004) – Brad Pitt, Blue Lagoon (Filmed in Malta)
Bollywood in Malta
‘Thugs of Hindostan’ was shot in Malta. Amitabh Bachchan was in south European country Malta for the shoot ‘Thugs of Hindostan’, which also stars Aamir Khan and Katrina Kaif.
Explaining the travel route, Bachcchan wrote in his blog, “Over the waters of the Arabian Sea and on to the sand coloured land of Doha, where we pick up some gasoline for the onward journey. And then on to Malta, flying over Saudi Arabia, over Cairo in Egypt, turning right on to the Mediterranean and driving in the skies straight to the island of Malta.”
Filming in Malta
Malta is a unique film destination in the Mediterranean that has served several famous blockbusters. Malta is also home to the Mediterranean Film Studios which, since 1963, has offered a shallow water tank for filming water scenes.
Here are some benefits of filming in Malta.
- Skilled workforce
- Political stability and safe environment
- Picturesque, Mediterranean settings
- Long hours of day light
- Well equipped water tanks facility
- Competitive rates for crews, artists and extras
- English is widely spoken
- Rebate on filming expenditure
- Read more here.
The Maltese Islands (Malta, Gozo, and Comino) have a fascinating heritage and history. Its surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea south of Sicily, and being close to Tunisia, there is also a distinct North African influence in the region. As a result, the Maltese language sounds like a mix of Arabic and Italian.
Malta’s palm-tree fringed landscape is dotted with picturesque hilltop towns, peaceful seaports, and old fishing villages. Valletta, the capital, is an ideal base to explore the Island of Malta without a car.
Tourists love Valletta’s charming hotels, restaurants, historical sites, and cultural events. Gozo is a great choice for beachside relaxation, snorkeling, scuba diving, and nature hikes.
Malta has the perfect weather for tourists during spring and autumn, although the villages come to life with religious festivals and outdoor concerts during the the hot summer months.
Top things to see and experience in Malta:
- Valletta: Malta’s beautiful and elegant Capital
- The beautiful, idyllic Island of Gozo
- The Medieval Hilltop Town of Mdina, Island of Malta
- Historical Attractions in Rabat, Island of Malta
- Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, Island of Malta: A Neolithic Cult Site
- Prehistoric Tarxien Temples, Island of Malta
- Blue Lagoon, Island of Comino: Its the perfect swimming pool created by nature itself
- The Blue Grotto, Island of Malta
- Dingli Cliffs, Island of Malta: Checkout the breathtaking Views
- Golden Bay Beach, Island of Malta
- Ghajn Tuffieha Bay and Gnejna Bay Beaches, Island of Malta
- The Seaside Charm of Mellieha, Island of Malta
- Hagar Qim Temples, Island of Malta: A Prehistoric Megalithic Site
- Mnajdra Temples of the Maltese Bronze Age, Island of Malta
- Siggiewi, Island of Malta: A Traditional Maltese Village
- The Country Village of Zebbug, Island of Malta
- Popeye Village, Island of Malta: For some fun filled family time