Mahesh Bhatt’s classic film Arth will be the first Bollywood film to be remade in Pakistan. The Pakistani remake titled ‘Arth 2’ will be a contemporary retelling of the original story and will be set in Lahore. The Pakistani version will star Shaan Shahid, Humaima Malick, Uzma Hassan (Shabana Azmi) and Mohib Mirza.
Highlights of the original Arth:
- Mahesh Bhatt’s ‘Arth’ (about a married man involved in a relationship outside his marriage) is considered to be a classic in Indian cinema, the movie portrays Mahesh Bhatt’s extramarital relationship with Parveen Babi.
- The movie was considered a path-breaking film because of its climax.
- The movie took a very long time to release after the movie was completed because distributors were skeptical about investing money in this experimental film.
- Shabana Azmi and Smita Patil’s rivalry was at its peak then (both were considered the best actresses at that time). After the release, several pages were written on who performed better.
- About the Music, the songs composed and sung by ghazal exponent Jagjit Singh were super-hits. Despite the success, the husband-wife duo of Jagjit and Chitra Singh were unable to make much headway in Hindi film music.
An insider reports that Mahesh Bhatt gave the story and screenplay rights to Shaan without charging any money.
“When Shaan expressed the desire to revisit Arth, I had no objection. The story has endured the passage of time and is available in public domain. Shaan wanted to use my story and present it as a local, indigenous narrative that suited his country’s palate. I’m not aware of what he has done. Every filmmaker has his own worldview and the freedom to reinterpret a story the way he wishes.”
“Arth is the first film with the DNA of an Indian story to be set in Pakistan. If we want to strengthen film trade between our countries, Arth’s model is a great way of collaborating,” says Shaan.
Here are some posters of Arth, shared by Shaan on Instagram.
Here are some classic songs (ghazals) from the movie, sung and composed by the legendary Jagjit Singh.
Watch: Jhuki Jhuki Si Nazar sung by Jagjit Singh from Arth 1983 (Shabana Azmi, Raj Kiran)
Watch: Tum Itna Jo Muskura Rahe Ho by Jagjit Singh from Arth 1983 (Shabana Azmi, Raj Kiran)
Watch: Koi Yeh Kaise Bataye by Jagjit Singh from Arth 1983 (Shabana Azmi, Raj Kiran, Smita Patil)